There are many consumer reporting companies in the US. The market includes: the three largest credit reporting companies that sell comprehensive consumer reports; consumer report resellers that repackage information they buy from the largest companies; and specialty consumer reporting companies that primarily collect and provide specific types of information like on payday loans or checking accounts.
The CFPB will accept complaints regarding:
- Incorrect information on a credit report;
- A consumer reporting agency’s investigation;
- The improper use of a credit report;
- Being unable to get a copy of a credit score or file; and
- Problems with credit monitoring or identify protection services.
The CFPB already accepts a variety of complaints, such as complaints on credit cards, mortgages, bank accounts and services, consumer loans, and private student loans.