I know that community banks ... are worried that their capital requirements may rise, and they are worried that compliance may be difficult. We have spent a good deal of time analyzing the impact, and we believe that most of the community institutions we supervise already have enough common equity to meet the new tests.Read Curry's speech.
ABA has identified issues of concern for all sizes of banks in the proposed Basel III rules including
- Mortgage issues related to the deduction of mortgage servicing assets;
- The phase out of trust preferred securities;
- The possibility of flowing unrealized gains and losses through capital;
- The deduction of cash flow hedges; and
- The deduction of deferred tax assets.
Read more information on ABA’s Basel III efforts and concerns.